Crozet Community Association (CCA) Minutes
As approved at the January 9, 2014 meeting
November 14, 2013 at 7:30 PM The Field School Auditorium
Welcome: Tim Tolson, President, welcomed all. There were 30 members present.
Agenda Review / Changes and additions from the floor: There were none.
These minutes were prepared by Jo Ann Z. Perkins, Secretary.
Treasurer's Report: Emery Taylor, Treasurer, reported that the checking account has $9,265.59. Nearly all of these funds are designated for the Independence Day celebration, and in particular, for the fireworks.
A Moment in Crozet History: Phil James showed a picture of Railroad Avenue in 1912 where the present Dairy Queen is located. He told us about Crozet’s first movie theater and what was happening a 100 years ago today at that location and the building beside it. Railroad Avenue has truly improved in navigability since those days.
Visit from Albemarle County Police officer (Evening Patrol Division) As part of the Albemarle County Police department community policing. Lieutenant Jenkins spoke on what’s happening in Crozet. He gave us the phone number to call VDOT (977-9041) about dead deer alongside the road. He spoke on all citizens being aware of neighbors and be sure to let the police force know when there is a problem.
Discussion of the smash and grab thefts from cars parked in Mint Springs Valley Park last Saturday. There is also a website to view reported crimes in the county, http://www.crimemapping.com/map/va/albemarlecounty
Also attending were patrol officers Wood and Sully.
Presentation: All about the Crozet Safety Corps (http://www.crozetsafetycorps.org) Jim Crosby gave a power point presentation on the organization of the Safety Corps, including structure, purpose, mission, philosophy, and why this group is important to Crozet community. He emphasized community involvement. Neighbors watching out for neighbors.
Updates and news from the Board of Supervisors chair and our supervisor, Ann Mallek. Ann Mallek was unable to attend the meeting.
- Update on the Build Crozet Library fundraising (http://buildcrozetlibrary.org) Bill Schrader was unable to attend. He sent a report that mentioned that library circulation for September was up 74% and October was up 83% compared to last year’s circulation. Count of folks through the doors was up 156% in September and 136% in October, over last year!
- The community has raised $1,035,316 dollars so far towards their goal of $1,600,000.
- The deadline for a Giving Tree gift is December 13.
- A great big thank you to Fardowners and the community for their support of the Crozet Library nights at Fardowners.
- The JMRL library board is requesting additional funds for increased hours at Crozetin FY2014-2015. Please let the Board of Supervisors know of your support (or opposition) to this request by emailing BOS@Albemarle.org If the Crozet Library had additional evening hours, the CCA could be meeting on Thursday nights at the library!
- Updates from the Crozet Park and the Crozet Trails Crew (www.crozettrailscrew.org) Phil Best mentioned that the 5K race held on the same day as the Arts and Crafts Festival had 147 runners. It was a success. Jo Ann Perkins mentioned that the Park will be advertising for a festival director. If anyone has ideas to improve the festival, make new additions etc., to share your ideas with any Park Board member. She reminded all the members that the festivals keep the park financed. It is everyone’s park!
- Update on the Streetscape Project. Community Meeting, Tuesday, December 3rd at 7PM at WAHS cafeteria. See details on our website: http://CrozetCommunity.org Tim Tolson showed pictures of the plans and phases of the plan. Preparations to make the walk safe to school bids came in too high, so there has been a reference of “back to the drawing board”.
- Final vote on motion to raise and contribute $1,000 to Crozet Library fundraising. The motion was made and tabled at the September meeting, per the bylaws, it is voted on this meeting. The motion was raised and unanimously approved.
- Smash and grab break-ins at Mint Springs Valley Park last Saturday afternoon. Tim Tolson and Phil James spoke on what happened. A lot of camera equipment was stolen out of a car there. Lt. Jenkins spoke of this incident earlier in the meeting.
- Election of CCA officers occurs at our next meeting, January 9, 2014. Nominations are for President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. Current officers are: President: Tim Tolson, Vice-President: Mary Rice, Secretary: Jo Ann Perkins, and Treasurer: Emery Taylor. Candidates must be present at the January 9 meeting or have spoken with a current officer about their willingness to serve if elected. Tim, Mary, & JoAnn are at term limit!
- Jim Crosby made the motion that CCA revised its bylaws to remove the term limit, that is, strike the words, “other than Treasurer, will have a maximum term of 3 years, and”. The new sentence would read “All officers shall be responsible for keeping accurate records.” Therefore removing term limits. This motion was seconded Lisa Goehler. Those present were unanimously in favor. Per CCA bylaw, this motion is tabled until the next meeting, January 9, when it comes for a final vote. This will be the Annual Meeting. If anyone wants to serve as an officer, please feel free to contact Tim, Mary, or Jo Ann.
- Annual Swing Dance fundraiser in March 29. This will NOT be a Valentine’s Dance.
Comments and Questions?
- Ann Mallek will hold two local town hall meetings, the first at 10 a.m. Saturday Nov. 16 at the White Hall Community Center. The second at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 19 in the community room at the Crozet Library.
- Monday, November 18 from 6:00-7:30 PM at the Crozet Library community room, public meeting about the status of environmental remediation at old Acme Visible Records plant. For additional information visit:
o Also an information binder is kept at the Crozet Library Reference, ask at the desk.
- Crozet Community Advisory Council meeting next Thursday, November 15 at 7:00 PM at The Meadows. Everyone is encouraged to attend.
- Crozet Santa Parade, Saturday, December 1st, 3 PM. From Wayland Drive to the Firehouse.
- Citizen’s Police Academy schedule posted and handout available at the meeting.
Future Agenda Items?
The next CCA meeting is January 9, 2014 at 7:30 PM at the Field School Auditorium
CCA meetings are at 7:30 PM on the second Thursday of the odd numbered months (except
The meeting adjourned at 8:55 PM.