Come hear about Crozet's namesake, Claudius Crozet, Thursday, November 13 at 7:00 PM at the Crozet Library.
Col. Dooley will review Claudius Crozet's life and career, with special emphasis on his work at the United States Military Academy at West Point and his role in founding the Virginia Military Institute. Col. Dooley is the co-author of "Claudius Crozet: French Engineer in America, 1790-1864"
One of the series of talks, dubbed the Crozet Soirée, at the Crozet Library. It is free and everyone is invited to attend.
Additional information on the Crozet Library's website at: http://www.jmrl.org/br-crozet.htm
The Albemarle County Board of Supervisors will be considering a request for a complete closure of Tabor Street to traffic between Crozet Avenue and High Street for approximately fifteen (15) days to allow for road widening and the installation of stormwater facilities as part of the streetscape construction project. As proposed in the request, the road will be closed to through traffic but access to private property will be maintained from High Street during the closure. A map of the proposed Tabor Street closing and detour route is below. The county staff recommendation for closing Tabor Street is available here, and the letter from VDOT approving and stipulating the conditions of the closing is available here.
The request is on the Board's consent agenda for action at the Wednesday, February 12th meeting.
At this point the anticipated closing dates are February 24, 2014 until March 14, 2014, weather permitting.
- If you wish to speak at the 6:00 PM Wednesday, February 12th Board of Supervisors meeting, you need to sign-up at the meeting to speak.
- Or you can email the Board of Supervisors at BOS@Albemarle.org and/or email our supervisor, Ann Mallek, at: AMallek@Albemarle.org
Complete closure of the road will speed up the proposed Tabor Street improvements and will result in a safer construction work zone.
If the complete closure does not occur, construction will proceed with a partial closure, meaning that the Tabor Street improvements could take as much as five (5) weeks to complete due to the constrained conditions, restricted work hours, and flagmen requirements.
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) has granted permission for this detour with specific restrictions and requirements:
- Tabor Street may be closed and the detour used only on weekdays between the hours of 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM, excluding holidays.
- The existing gravel surface of the detour route through the lumber yard must be graded and additional stone added as necessary to provide a drivable surface acceptable to VDOT and maintained in that condition for the duration of the detour.
- Detour signage will be provided as directed by VDOT.
The road closure has been coordinated with the public school bus routing managers. VDOT has determined that the only viable detour route is via High Street, through the lumber yard, and connected to the newly constructed Library Avenue. A copy of that route is available below.
Further information will be provided on the website and via our other outreach methods immediately after the Board provides direction regarding the closure request.
You can visit the Albemarle County website – www.albemarle.org/crozetstreetscape regularly to stay informed on the status of the project.