Crozet Community Association (CCA) Minutes of the
January 12, 2023
Claudius Crozet Park Community Building
(aka old WPED radio building)
Click here for PDF version of these minutes.
Welcome: Tim Tolson, President, welcomed the 13 people present and called the meeting to order at 7:31 PM.
Agenda Review / Changes and additions from the floor?
Jo Ann Perkins asked to speak about recycling. Tim suggested and she concurred that it could be during new business.
Approval of the CCA’s last meeting’s minutes (November 10, 2022)
Tom Loach made the motion to accept as given and Jo Ann Perkins seconded. Unanimous approval.
Treasurer’s Report – (2023 Dues: Still just $10 annual contribution!)
CCA: $3,964.58; CIDC: $7,275.97; TOTAL: $11,240.55
Tim gave the treasurer’s report. Allied Portable Toilets (APT) finally sent in a bill for the Crozet Independence Day Celebration of $1,750.71 that is NOT reflected in the totals above. To CIDC total is now $5,525.26
Albemarle County Police Department (ACPD) visited and give an update. (Evening Patrol Division-Officer Jordan S. DeLange and Officer R.A. Figueroa)
Officers DeLange and Figueroa joined the CCA meeting and gave a few updates and answered questions. Someone asked about thefts of shipments left on porches and the officers said it has NOT been a problem in the Crozet area. The sub-station at Old Trail is working out well.
The ACPD has three shifts daylight, evening and midnight. They try to respond to call for service within 15 minutes.
Current issue is time an officer has to spend on mental health/crisis intervention. They are working on a collaboration with Region Ten.
Presentation: Three Notched Trail Plans & RAISE Grant (Allie Hill, Three Notched Trail Planning Group Chair)
Mx. Allie Hill gave a presentation on the RAISE grant and plans for the Three Notched Trail. It will run between Charlottesville and the Blue Ridge tunnel in Afton via Crozet. Looking at options and possible routes with the RAISE grant funding. Possibly run some of the trail next to the railroad tracks. Email Mx. Hill at info@ThreeNotchedTrail.org
(Article about the presentation is in the February issue of the Crozet Gazette: https://www.crozetgazette.com/2023/02/03/three-notched-trail-planning-underway/)
Update and News from Ann Mallek, our county supervisor
Ann gave an update on property tax assessments. Most of them increased, some dramatically. The County assessment office worked very hard to get an accurate market/sale price for each property.
County looking at small infrastructure projects. County should consider providing resources for grant applications via community development.
She solicited questions. There was a discussion of property assessments.
- Tom Loach’s motion: That the CCA set up a survey committee, similar to the last one in 2017, to gauge the Crozet community’s support for each of the county’s AC44 options.
[Note: Per Article VII of the CCA bylaws, this motion is being presented at a second regular CCA meeting for discussion and vote, and if accepted, will be adopted.]
Tom Loach withdrew his motion.
- IF there is a Crozet Independence Day Celebration . . .
Tim said that the Crozet Independence Day Celebration (CIDC) will be held Saturday, July 1st. Working hard to have fireworks or drone show at Crozet Park. Have contacted 5 or 6 drone show companies and only one has provided a quote – $40,000! Contacting fireworks companies as well. Prices for these has more than doubled from previous years and there are limits on the size of the show we can have in the traditional launch place given the new housing built near Crozet Park.
- Election of CCA officers for 2023. Nominations are open for President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. Current officers are: President: Tim Tolson, Vice-President: Lisa Goehler, Secretary: Jo Ann Perkins, and Acting Treasurer: Tim Tolson. Candidates must be present at the January 12, 2023 meeting or have spoken with a current officer about their willingness to serve if elected (Article II of the Bylaws).
After discussion, the slate of officers – President: Tim Tolson, Vice-President: Lisa Goehler, Secretary: Jo Ann Perkins, and Acting Treasurer: Tim Tolson – was motioned by Ann Mallek and seconded by Terri Miyamoto. Unanimously approved.
- Tim related the public hearing at the Crozet Community Advisory Committee (CCAC) about the Crozet trailer park (manufactured homes). The proposed 14 additional homes would all be within the existing trailer park (which is just a little ways beyond Crozet Park on Park Street). They are truly affordable homes. Current residents support this proposal and said they would not be able to afford another home in Crozet. Video of the CCAC meeting is at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYj-Hj81scI&t=7s
- Tom Loach discussed his new website/blog “AboutCrozet.com”. Desire to make Crozetians aware of the Comprehensive Plan update happening and its impact on Crozet. Also has Crozet businesses directory and community calendar.
It reviews the Comprehensive Plan topics and asks folks to respond. He have response statistics at the CCAC meeting last night.
- Tom Loach also proposed the CCA work on a project with the UVa Architecture School on the old Acme Visible Records property. Have the A-School students (in a class) review the property details and site and provide design alternatives for when the property comes out of remediation. Tim and Tom will pursue this idea and provide updates at these meetings.
- Jo Ann Perkins spoke about a recycling center in Crozet. The Green Olive Tree is the biggest recycling center in Crozet! It needs more space! She thinks a recycling complex that includes bigger space for the Green Olive Tree. The county had, years ago, approved the dollars for a Crozet recycling center, but it needs a location.
- Household Hazardous waste on Friday & Saturday, April 21 & 22 from 9AM to 2PM at IMUC
- Bulky Waste Amnesty days:
- Furniture/Mattresses – April 29, 2023; Appliances – May 6, 2023; Tires – May 13, 2023
- Electronic Waste Collection Day– Saturday, April 15, 2023 from 9 A to 3P at IMUC
- You MUST pre-register: https://www.rivanna.org/ewaste/ Registration is already closed!
- Commercial Hazardous Waste Collection– Thursday, April 20, 2023. Qualifying businesses must pre-register with MXI Environmental by April 14th to obtain an appointment. To register, call or email Peggy Snead at (276) 628-6636, extension 203 or email@example.com. There is a fee associated with disposal.
- Details on their websiteat http://www.rivanna.org/hhw/
Future Agenda Items?
– Albemarle County presentation on the Comprehensive Plan Update (AC44) will be the main presentation at the March 9, 2023 CCA meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:05 PM
Minutes prepared by Tim Tolson, with notes from Lisa Goehler. (Jo Ann Perkins was unable to take notes because she has injured her right hand.)
The next CCA meeting is March 9, 2023 at 7:30 PM
CCA meetings are at 7:30 PM on the second Thursday of the odd numbered months
Email us at: CrozetCommunity@gmail.com
Join our email list by signing up at: http://CrozetCommunity.org/contact-us/
These minutes of theJanuary 13, 2023 meeting will be reviewed, revised as necessary, and approved at the March 9, 2023 meeting.